The January transfer window was filled with amazing moves, and some shrewd business, but something happened during the transfer window that will forever go down in the history books. Liverpool acquired for themselves the costliest football defenders in the world, Virgil Van Dijk from Southampton.
This made us at Goalisma to look into the football world and make our list of football’s most expensive defensive marshalls.
1. Virgil Van Dijk: Making the move from Southampton to Liverpool for a record transfer fee of £75 million makes him the costliest defender in the history of the game. It was a well known fact that Klopp wanted the former Southampton man at an field, and if I might say, at all cost. But a deal broke down in the summer because of the price tag, bit this January transfer window Liverpool finally got their man for a record fee, making him the costliest football defender in the world.
2. Aymeric Laporte: The France under 21 and former athletico Bilbao defender is Manchester City’s record signing at £57 million. This fee surpasses the £55 million Manchester City paid for Kevin De Bruyne. Laporte’s addition to the Manchester City back line means Manchester City are responsible for 4 of the 6 most costliest football defenders in the history of football.
3. Kyle Walker: The English defender who moved from Tottenham to Manchester City for £53 million, makes the list as the second most expensive defender in the world. Pep Guardiola is well known for buying sophisticated defenders with huge price tags, and the acquisition of Kyle Walker took his spending on defender to over £100 million.
4. Benjamin Mendy: Manchester City have recently been notorious in the transfer window, with the splashing of top money on defenders. This twitter famous defender who moved to Man City from Monaco was acquired for £52 million. He impressed the city fans in the games he played before he was sidelined with injury.
5. David Luiz: This move which happened in 2014 was so expensive back then that till today it still stand as number 4 on the list of costliest defenders in the world. The defender moved from Chelsea to PSG for £50 million, making him the costliest football defenders in the world for a time.
6. John Stones: This young and exciting English defender moved from Everton to guess who, Manchester City for a English record transfer fee for a defender at £47.5 million. The ball playing skills and composure of John Stones made Pep Guardiola so interested in him that he was willing to spend the big bucks to bring him to the Etihad. He was for a time the most expensive English defender.